Dear Mom

Three months ago today, I kissed Corey goodbye, climbed into the car with Brett, who drove me to Rhonda's where I hugged her and Larry before setting off for the airport. I think I cried all the way there. It was horrible.
Although I had a car waiting for me when I landed I didn't have a hotel reservation and drove around for over an hour trying to find something before I decided on the Hampton Inn on Beach Boulevard.
I have always wanted to see New Orleans, especially the French Quarter and Garden District. My first weekend in Biloxi, Yolita invited me to join her for dinner in NOLA. It was wonderful. We met Jimbo in the French Quarter and listened to Jazz bands in Preservation Hall. I thought of you when they played Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World.
Less than two weeks later I moved into a beautiful fully-furnished luxury condo down the beach in Biloxi. Although the view is wonderful from the balcony the king size plantation style bed is my favorite! Now if I could only find someone to share it with. Just kidding. Well, sort of.

A month after moving into my condo, I met Stephanie for a weekend in DC where she surprised me with a birthday party. It was wonderful! She also bought me survey tools. It was the perfect gift.
I returned to Biloxi in time to celebrate the Fourth. I attended a party at Mike's house where this photo was taken. Using Hugh's beach towel as a prop we decided to pose behind the "flag." Hugh, Amanda and I have been conducting deed research which can be frustrating at times but working with Hugh and Amanda makes the process more enjoyable.
When I'm not stuck in the office or conducting deed research, I am out in the field surveying houses with Laura and Amanda. At the beginning of August we surveyed 99 houses in Jackson County, MS. Georgia can be hot and sticky, but it's nothing compared to Moss Point, MS. Sweat was the least of our worries as we were constantly checking our hair and clothes for ticks and then there was the presence of alligators and poisonous snakes. We never spotted a gator but
Laura and Amanda found a cottonmouth snake in a shed. This dude came to our rescue with a shotgun but the snake escaped before the man could "blow it's head off."
I've also seen a few concerts in the past twelve weeks. Last Friday, Heather, Amanda (pictured here) and I saw Better Than Ezra in concert. I chose to join Heather and Amanda for two reasons; 1) It was free 2) Curiosity Ben liked BTE and once said one of their songs reminded him of me. The concert was fine. Their stage presence was not impressive but whatever. It was free and we had good seats.
Afterward the three of us danced to Human League on the beach as traffic raced by us. I can't imagine what people must have thought but it was so fun! I want to dance like a crazy woman on the beach more often even if I have to do it solo.
Tomorrow Joy and Kelli are flying down to visit. I am so excited. They are the first of my friends to do so but I hope they are not the last. Although there is a lot to do I still get lonely and long for Washington and the friends I left behind. I even miss Kentucky sometimes. I am trying to convince Daddy to visit and I think Joshie and Lauren may celebrate Christmas down here with Dad and I.
Three months ago my life was filled with uncertainty. I had no idea how long I would be here or where I would go after my contract expired. Now it appears I will be here as long as there is work to do. It's not DC but I am learning so much and making some really great friends along the way. I wish with all my heart you could have shared this experience with me. I imagine we would have spent hours by the pool or sunbathing on the beach. We would have talked for hours on the balcony watching traffic pass in our nightgowns like we used to do. There would have been trips to Wally World and long discussions about the books we'd read. There would have been pep-talks in the evening when I came home frustrated and I'm confident you would have teased me when I told you about a certain Marine I met at church. Don't worry he's not interested but I find it interesting that he is exactly the type of man you would choose for me. I am confident you would like him.
There would have been pedicures and long lunches at our favorite restaurants. We would share Diet Coke, yes, I have made the switch, drinking from the same glass and make brownies every weekend but it was not to be and I can't understand why you couldn't just hang around a little longer. I don't understand why things worked out the way they did. Why you made certain decisions and why God failed to intervene. I know people loose loved ones everyday but damn why you? Why now? and how in the hell am I supposed to make it? How am I going to make it through this life without you? I feel so lost and I would give anything, ANYTHING, just to talk to you, to hug you, to see you one more time.
I know I will see you again and I often try to imagine what that day will be like. Dad says you will be even more beautiful than you were here and we will laugh and talk for hours. Although I believe he's right it doesn't really comfort me. I miss you so much. I love you and I think about you everyday.
Love you forever-
Sissy







posted under |

2 comments:

Rae said...

Hey Boo, I was wondering how things were going for you. I haven't heard from you in forever. I am glad you seem to be keeping busy. We sure do miss you up here. :)

Boo said...

I missed DC and everyone there before but having Joy and Kelli leave me this morning made me miss it that much more. I had such a good time and I wish more of my friends could come and visit.
I know you are super busy but if you ever need a long weekend away from Washington know you always have a place to stay. I would love to show you around. I think you would love New Orleans.
I am flying into DC in September. Hopefully we can catch-up then.

Newer Post Older Post Home

    In Loving Memory

    In Loving Memory

Our Photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Steph&Boo. Make your own badge here.

About Us

Blog Archive

About Me


Recent Comments