Big Love

Chances are if you read this blog you've heard about 'Big Love.' I've been waiting to form an opinion about it until I could get my thoughts straight on the issue. I've watched the second and third episodes and I'm done watching.

So. Polygamy's the basic issue of the show. To be honest (and maybe a bit shocking) I don't have an issue with the theory of polygamy. Those of you interested in the answer can ask me why offline. I do think that this is a glorified version of the actual practice and is as far off base as Carrie (Sex and the City) being able to afford both her rent and Jimmy Choo twice a week. It's TV. Exaggeration happens.

If the show was simply about a man married to several women I wouldn't even bother to be disturbed by it but I am. Why? There are catch words and phrases that are distinctly "Mormon" and the language is used intentionally to blur the line between "Mormons" and polygamists.

I've heard arguments that say the filming mocks ordinances. I don't agree. Odd things happen in any religion and any sane person can argue against the 'weird' things they show (blessing of a hunting rifle, for instance). Richard Dutcher has filmed several ordinances and while I'm personally not comfortable seeing them on film, it's his right to do so.

Personally I don't think that the subject matter is bad either. This show exposes a segment of our population that needs a voice. The current practice of polygamy is abhorrent in the extreme but it's rarely talked about. Maybe the portrayal of the very young women being married to old men will spur some help eradicating this practice. Maybe it will force people to examine what is really happening in these communities instead of joking about the pleasure they'd derive from having multiple wives themselves. Who knows?

What I do hate about the program is the syntax. People are identified by their language; LDS people especially so. We have sayings that cross cultural boundaries and languages. They are part of our identity. I can safely say that no matter where I am in the world if I hear a person talking about going to "institute," I can assume that they are LDS. Sayings and expressions are a form of identification and this program uses phrases that are "Mormon" to portray a practice that is not. It bothers me.

Do I mind that I have a chance to explain what I really believe? Of course not, assuming I get that chance. Do I mind that these phrases will become more well known? No. But I'm afraid that now they will be popularly associated with polygamy.

I think that some LDS people fear the close examination of the outside world. It's been a tough road for our religion with "outsiders." We have been conditioned, I believe, to be a bit reactionary when there is intense scrutiny. But I also know that times of pressure and intense scrutiny are the times the produce the most amazing results.

Will I watch again? No. And I think that throwing a huge effort into getting the show canceled will only serve to feed the fire. In this case I'm going to stick to my circle of influence and let go of worrying about things outside it. Regardless of the status of the show it's brought dialogue about a problem that I think needs a solution and the opportunity to address some misconceptions. That's enough for me to see the silver lining in the thunder cloud everyone's yammering about.



I'm going to open this post up to comments but if it gets snotty they are going right back off, FYI.

posted under |

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home

    In Loving Memory

    In Loving Memory

Our Photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Steph&Boo. Make your own badge here.

About Us

Blog Archive

About Me


Recent Comments