Feline Free

This weekend has been a bitter-sweet one for me. On Friday evening I said goodbye to my two babies and put them on a direct flight to Lexington, Kentucky. Mary and ZuZu are litter mates or, as we say, sisters. Their mother, Chef, was rescued by my brother outside a Wal-Mart in Georgia about eight years ago. Although everyone wonders what Josh's attraction is to Chef, no one can resist loving Mary and ZuZu.
ZuZu or Boo, has always been the alpha female. Weighing in at 14.5 pounds, she was not always so big, but has become my amazon princess. Stubborn and vain she loves to butt heads with me until she gets her way. My alarm clock for the past four months, I will miss her a.m. rituals.
Mary, or Bear, is my model cat. Small and lithe she has the most unusal markings of any cat I have ever seen. When Mary was a kitten, my dad predicted no one would take Mary because she wasn't cute. No one said my Dad was a prophet. Despite her sweetness, Mary loves to hunt and is very good at capturing squirrels, frogs, rabbits and snakes. Zu will often try to take credit for Mary's dirty deeds by dragging the kill closer to the house and standing patiently over it until someone either praises or reprimands her.
This may sound silly, but I have learned a lot about myself because of my cats. I have learned that I have developed an allergy to felines. The entire time Mary and Zu stayed with me I was constantly sneezing and taking sinus medicine. Yuck! I also learned what its like to be solely responsible for other living creatures without your family's help. At home my father always bought the cat food, while my mom paid for vet bills. Having total responsibility for two cats was a learning experience.
Mary and Zu reminded how important it is to remain "in touch" with my maternal instincts. As a graduate student I often feel selfish. Not having a church calling or a consistent, structured service mechanism exacerbates this feeling. With Mary and Zu I often had to balance my needs with theirs.
One of the most important things I have gained out of Mary and Zu's stay is a deeper appreciation for my dad. My dad who always griped and complained about the cats in Georgia, only because he has asthma and is allergic to cats, agreed to keep Mary and Zu so I could allow Tony, my landlord, to show my apartment. Yes, after only one year at the Corcoran House, I have to move but that's a subject that deserves its own blog. :)
When thanking my dad the other night for helping me out, he said in reply, "Anything for my little girl." This may sound sappy and a little cliche but it really meant a lot to me. My dad wasn't around a lot during my childhood but he's honestly tried to make up for it in our adult years. My Mom used to be my bestfriend but there are some things I can tell my Dad that I can't discuss with my Mom. It doesn't mean I love her less but I treasure this element of my relationship with my Dad and have enjoyed watching its evolution. I appreciate his love for me and only hope one day he will realize how much he means to me.
A little apprehensive initially, about Mary and Zu's new living arrangements, I am now confident they are in good hands and will be well cared for making me footloose and feline free. :)

posted under |

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home

    In Loving Memory

    In Loving Memory

Our Photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Steph&Boo. Make your own badge here.

About Us

Blog Archive

About Me


Recent Comments