History

One of my greatest passions is history. This love is common among all my immediate family members. My brother's interests are WWII and Russian history. For Christmas a few years ago he actually asked for the History Channels series of WWII videos, which my proud parents happily bought him. I don't know how many times he watched the series before he tired of them but I know it was more than I would have.
I am more like my parents, flitting from one subject or person to another. However, I have always loved architecture, particularly that of historic homes. Lacking the artistic abilities to realize my dream of becoming an architect I decided to pursue a career doing the next best thing, if I can call it such; historic preservation.
I recently began my internship at the Woodrow Wilson House located at 2340 S Street, NW in DC. This home was acquired by President Wilson while serving his second term in office. His second wife, Edith Bolling Gault Wilson discovered the home while looking at another property on the same street. The first owner of 2340 invited Mrs. Wilson in and offered to sale immediately.
The home was known then as the perfect "gentlemen's house," because entertaining was not done on the ground floor. Although Edith loved the home she also realized it was too expensive for her husband to afford. Many people are unaware, as was I, that President Wilson was not a wealthy man. Edith, whose first husband was a successful businessman left her a generous inheritance but WW, and other gentlemen of his day, would not spend their wife's money. Instead, friends of WW each put up at least $10,000 of their own money and purchased the home for the President. A few weeks before the Wilsons left the White House, WW surprised Edith with the deed to the home.
This is only one of many stories I read about today. It is remarkable how intricate WW's life was. He was a man of contradiction to put it lightly. Known as a religious, educated man, the only President to have earned a PhD, his actions could be entirely opposite. But can't that be said for us all? Its amazing how nothing is private after death. No matter how recluse one may be in life, thousands may know them through history. Look at Emily Dickinson.
In addition to the stories, I love the physical objects that prove their reality. The Wilson Home has 28 rooms, most of which I have explored. I think its safe to assume I will never live in anything so grand but I can pretend I do. Presently I work on the top floor in the old servants quarters. The Wilson's only had two house servants, an African American couple, so the quarters are quite small but every Friday afternoon, when all the patrons have come and gone, I quitely walk down the long spiral staircase, pretending to be the lady of the house, looking in the twelve foot mirror, as I do. Standing in front of this huge mirror I perform a full turn, carefully examining my reflection at each angle. Dissatisfied I usually sigh in despair, shrug my shoulders and continue to the ground floor entrance, realizing I will never be an Edith Wilson or a Jacqueline Kennedy. Yet, because of history, I can pretend. I can know what their lives were like, the heartaches they edured, the anxiety or social embarrassment they must have felt at certain moments. Through history an already existing connection is manifest and strengthened.
Another interesting fact I learned today was WW's first wife was born and is buried in Rome, GA. I was also born in Rome, GA thus feeling a sympathy and deeper kinship with her than Edith. Knowing a gal from Rome became first lady also gives me hope. It allows me to wonder, "what if" and believe its possible because another with the same nativity made it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not aspiring for 2000 Pennsylvania Ave address, but history, if we allow it, can endow us with courage to try and the knowledge to succeed. Long live history and the preservation of it!!

posted under |

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home

    In Loving Memory

    In Loving Memory

Our Photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Steph&Boo. Make your own badge here.

About Us

Blog Archive

About Me


Recent Comments