Sharing the Love...

If there is one thing Steph and I agree on its Pablo. During a phone conversation this evening, I mentioned my plan to post a Neruda poem in honor of love. With Valentine's Day less than forty-eight hours away, I thought it would be fitting to share a love poem every day until the holiday passes. Stephanie agreed. I hope you enjoy this; its one of my favorites.

Body of a Woman
Body of a woman, white hills, white thighs,
you look like a world, lying in surrender.
My rough peasant's body digs in you
and makes the son leap from the depth of the earth.
I was alone like a tunnel. The birds fled from me,
and night swamped me with its crushing invasion.
To survive myself I forged you like a weapon,
like an arrow in my bow, a stone in my sling.
But the hour of vengeance falls, and I love you.
Body of skin, of moss, of eager and firm milk.
Oh the goblets of the breast! Oh the eyes of absence!
Oh the roses of the pubis! Oh your voice, slow and sad!
Body of my woman, I will persist your grace.
My thirst, my boundless desire, my shifting road!
Dark river-beds where the eternal thirst flows
and weariness follows, and the infinite ache.

posted under |

1 comments:

tara said...

i love neruda.

and rilke, and paz, oh my.

Newer Post Older Post Home

    In Loving Memory

    In Loving Memory

Our Photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Steph&Boo. Make your own badge here.

About Us

Blog Archive

About Me


Recent Comments