St. John's

Although I haven't set any goals for 2008 or declared a theme for the year, I desperately want to visit all the historic sites in and around Washington, I have yet to see. I am not sure how much longer I will live in the area thus, I want to take advantage of every opportunity now, before I move away; whenever that may be.
On Thursday afternoon, I decided to visit St. John's Episcopal Church before heading home for the evening. Thursday I was assigned to work at the Decatur House but instead of getting off at five I got off around three.
Braving the chill I crossed H Street and tried every exterior door possible only to discover they were locked. A handsome older gentleman joined me apologizing he was not able to find a way inside. Suggesting I check the parrish, he wished me luck and walked away.
Ringing the bell, I was greeted by a young man who showed me into the office. Following an explanation about my reason for being there, i.e. I love Latrobe, I'm a Decatur House museum guide, and have a MA in historic preservation, GiGi offered to show me around the locked church.Latrobe, once wrote a letter to his son, describing St. John's as "his little church," and in comparison to modern mega-churches it is. Whatever the church lacks in space, it compensates for with architectural detail. The woodwork on the pews alone is impressive.
One of the first details GiGi identified about the church was President's Pew. St. John's because of its proximity to the White House, is also known as the Church of the Presidents. Every president since George Washington has worshipped at St. John's. Pointing to the floor, GiGi showed me the kneeling pads for each of the Presidents. Embroidered covers with the presidential seal and the names of each president decorated the pads. Anyone is welcome to worship with the President on Sundays; something I have wanted to do since moving to Washington. Funny, I have never found anyone interested in joining me.
Inviting me to sit in President Bush's seat, GiGi offered to take a photo of me. I agreed and this was the result. I probably should have removed my coat because I look a little frumpy with it on but who cares? One day I will sit, not as a tourist, in the President's Pew, but as his guest. I guarantee it. I am not sure how it will happen but it will. That and spending the night in the Lincoln bed of the White House.

Everything about the church is grand simplicity. I love its simple elegance. The symetry of the space. Latrobe's use of geometric shapes. The stained glass windows accenting the demur walls with sunbursts of color and light.
Hanging from the dome's center is a beautiful chanlier. GiGi said it was 200 years-old but I think I should probably research that. Despite its true age, it is lovely. The dome's interior walls are adorned with stained glass windows, as seen below, which draws the patron's eyes heavenward. Is it any wonder Latrobe is referred to as the father of American architecture?








posted under |

1 comments:

Rae said...

I love St. John's. I think it is beautiful. If you ever want company when visiting the sites, give me a ring. You know I love to go to the historical sites. Lol!

Newer Post Older Post Home

    In Loving Memory

    In Loving Memory

Our Photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Steph&Boo. Make your own badge here.

About Us

Blog Archive

About Me


Recent Comments